“Seeking Help for Those Suffering from Addiction”
Drug and Alcohol Addiction in Today’s World
Addiction has become a major epidemic worldwide, sometimes killing those we love dearly. You can never fully understand why these terrible tragedies occur, however, by detecting early signs of abuse it can be treated early on. Possibly saving you and your family from an unfortunate loss of life. Here are some signs to look for if you suspect a loved one has an addiction.
- Sudden change in their mood and behavior
- Having a loss of interest in their favorite sports, hobbies and other activities
- Secluding themselves from the rest of the family
- Not caring about their personal hygiene
- Having a change in sleeping patterns, seeming to be restless
- Glossy or red eyes, staring off into space
- Having a constantly runny nose and sniffles
- Mood swings, one moment they’re on cloud 9 and then they get down in the dumps of angry
- Hiding alcohol bottles or drug paraphernalia in their room
If your loved one shows any of these signs, you should seek help immediately, That way they’ll receive treatment early on and get back the lives they deserve.
Various Treatment Options
Depending on your location, there are numerous facilities that are equipped to handle all forms of addiction. I’ve included a list of the various types in which are available.
- Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation – A medical center that specializes in treating addiction with medical and psychotherapeutic methods. Dedicated to providing the patient with optimum services and confronting the issue at hand under. Their main goal is to get the patient to the point where they no longer have cravings for that which they’re addicted to.
- Sober Living Homes – Living facilities for those recovering from substance abuse. Usually for those with a need of additional assistance once they’ve been released from a (Drug and Alcohol Rehabilitation Center). Sober Living Homes in Austin TX generally provide a stable place for your loved one live while they’re getting sober. With a variety of staff members there to offer them one on one support.
- Holistic Alternatives Program Centers – A treatment program that provides treatment, according to the individual’s own personal needs. Seeking to cleanse the person’s mind, body and soul. Holistic Alternatives Programs are considered to be the most effective form of rehabilitation for your loved one to participate in. They combine a variety of conventional methods in which to treat the patient. Such as, introducing them to yoga classes, meditation techniques, massage and equine therapy.
How to Handle Those Suffering from Drug and Alcohol Addiction
Confronting your spouse or other loved one about having a problem with alcohol or drugs can be a touchy subject to address. It is of the utmost importance that you handle them with kid gloves. Here are some helpful tips on how to approach your loved one about their issue.
Steps to Follow:
* Wait until the person realizes they have a problem before talking to them
* Approach them in a calm and caring manner
* Let the person know that you are there for them and will support them through the process
* Explain to them how their addiction has affected you personally
* Provide the person with information about their treatment options
* Decide if it would be better to have the discussion with other family members and friends present
It might not be the easiest thing to do, but it could be one that saves a life.
My Personal Goal to Educate Others
Growing up I watched my whole family drink continuously, including my own mother. As a youngster witnessing the effects of alcoholism, I’d made a vow never to touch the stuff. And to this day, I have stayed true to my word. Unfortunately, there has been numerous members of my family who’ve died from both alcohol and drug addiction. Including my daughter, who died this past February, in a car accident. I had no idea that she’d a problem with drinking. That is until it was too late, her blood alcohol levels were twice that of the legal limit. After drinking for several hours at a local bar, she took a sharp turn and ran into a tree. Killing her instantly, that is why I’m on a mission to prevent this from happening to anyone else. My husband who served in the war in Iraq was also a heavy drinker. I would find bottles of Vodka under the bed and in the back of our toilet bowl. It was understandable, considering he was suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and chronic pain. However, I realized it was getting way out of control and decided to approach him about it. He agreed to seek help and went to a Sober Living Home through the VA. I have to admit it was a struggle in the beginning, but after several years of treatment, has been sober for ten years now. He meditates daily and our relationship is better than it’s ever been.
End Note for Those Seeking Help
If you know somebody who is suffering from alcohol or drug abuse, please get them help as soon as possible. It will not only save their life, it also provides them with an overall peace of mind. Don’t be discouraged if they’re not receptive to receiving assistance in the beginning. And I encourage you to not give up on them, sticking by their side through thick and thin. Things will get better, it’s just a matter of time and a whole lot of patience. Once they wake up and realize that they’ve got a problem, then it will open up their mind to seeking help. May you and your families have the best of luck moving forward in life.